Routes to Certification


      • man and teen boyAnyone seeking educator certification in Texas must pass examinations of professional knowledge and subject matter knowledge approved by the State Board for Educator Certification.  Approved examinations are Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES), Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT), and Texas Assessment of Sign Communication (TASC and TASC-ASL). In addition to passing the appropriate certification examinations, applicants for a Texas Educator certificate must satisfy other requirements by following one of the several routes to certification outlined below.


        Contact the Human Relations Department at (972) 923-4631 for assistance.


      • University-Based Programs

        These programs are usually delivered as part of a baccalaureate degree program. However, most colleges and universities have programs designed to prepare people who already hold a bachelor's degree and want to obtain educator certification. These programs may vary by institution.


      Alternative Programs

      • Alternative Programs for Educator Preparation

        Some institutions of higher education and large school districts have been approved by the State Board for Educator Certification to operate alternative programs of preparation for teachers and administrators. These programs may involve university coursework or other professional development experiences as well as intense mentoring and supervision during the candidate's first year in the role of educator. In addition, some regional education service centers offer alternative preparation similar to school-based programs.


        Texas Education Agency approved alternative teacher certification programs


      • Certification Based on Examination

        A teacher who holds an appropriate classroom-teaching certificate and a bachelor's degree may add classroom certification areas by successfully completing the appropriate certification examination(s) for the area(s) sought.

        Certification by examination is not available for:

        • Initial certification
        • A certificate class other than classroom teacher (e.g. Counselor, Principal, Learning Resources, Education Diagnostician)
        • A certificate for which no certification examination has been developed


        Additional Information for Certification by Exam

      Alternate State Credentials

      • Certification Based on Credentials from Another State or U.S. Territory

        An applicant who has been issued a standard certificate or credential from another state or United States territory may apply for a Texas certificate. The credential must be equivalent to a certificate issued by the Texas Education Agency (TEA), and must not have been revoked, suspended, or pending such action. TEA will evaluate an expired credential provided it was standard at the time of issuance. A statement issued by another state department of education specifying employment or examination requirements will have the same standing as the standard certificate.

        To apply for a review of credentials, all applicants must submit the following items to TEA:

        • Out-of-State Certifications 
        • An online application for Out of State certificate holders
        • Copies of the front and back of all educator credentials issued by another state or territory of the United States
        • Official transcripts of all college credits, bearing the seal and signature of the college registrar
        • $177 Fee
        • Digital fingerprints, a $47 fingerprinting fee, and a $9.95 fee for scanning for IDENTIX, by appointment only, scheduled by IDENTIX.


        An applicant who holds a standard credential from another state, and who meets specified requirements as determined by the review of credentials completed by the TEA, may be issued a One Year Certificate in one or more subject areas. During the validity of this temporary, nonrenewable certificate, the applicant must satisfactorily complete all appropriate examinations for each certificate or for which continued certification is desired.