Waxahachie ISD offers a full-day prekindergarten program at Turner Prekindergarten Academy, Marvin Elementary, and Northside Elementary. The program is free for qualifying students. The focus of the prekindergarten program is to develop oral language, prerequisite skills for emergent readers, early math concepts, and to build readiness skills for successful entry into kindergarten.
Waxahachie ISD requires a parent or guardian to present the following documents to complete the registration process
- New Student Enrollment Forms
- Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Immunization Records &/or Exemption Documentation
- Proof of Residency. Please note: if you cannot yet produce a current utility bill with a Waxahachie ISD address, a contract on a home or apartment lease will suffice until you can provide a current utility bill (required before starting school). If you live with a WISD resident, please complete, notarize and return the Legal Residency Form.
- Driver’s License of the enrolling parent/guardian
- Additional Documentation/Qualification Criteria for Pre-K Students are required to enroll in the free program.
Please be sure to review the documents accepted for proof of residency and double-check that your child's immunization records are up to date and reflect all the requirements of the state of Texas, which may vary from other states/countries.
A child must be at least four years of age or older on or before September 1 of the upcoming school year and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak or comprehend the English language;
- Low family income qualifies the student for the free/reduced lunch program; Income Eligibility Guidelines Parent/guardian must provide one of the following: at least 3 current pay stubs, most recent tax return, IRS form 1099, a notarized letter from employer on company letterhead listing income, a Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) eligibility letter with Eligibility Determination Group (EDG) number listed.
- Meet the definition of homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code;
- Be a member of an active military family or be a member of an inactive military family whose parent was injured or killed during active military service, supporting documentation required;
- Is presently or has been, in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Service (foster care) following an adversary hearing held as provided by the Family Code §262.201; Form 2085 E required;
- Has a guardian who is eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer under §3106.002, Government Code, a firefighter under §3106.003, Government Code, or an emergency medical first responder under §3106.004, Government Code.
Registration for Pre-K is held during spring and summer for the upcoming school year, but WISD accepts new students who qualify for free prekindergarten throughout the school year. Please visit the campus to register after open enrollment.
The majority of the Pre-K registration process is done electronically. The district will process and register families in the order in which interest was expressed.