National Honor Society
The objective of this chapter of NHS is to create an enthusiasm for scholarships, stimulate a desire to render service, promote worthy leadership, and encourage the development of character in the junior and senior students of Waxahachie High School.
Membership in this local chapter is an honor bestowed upon a student. Selection for membership is by the Faculty Council and is based on outstanding scholarship, character, leadership, and service. Once selected, members have the responsibility to continue to demonstrate these qualities.
To qualify for membership, candidates must be enrolled in Waxahachie High School within the first grading period of the current academic year and shall be members of the junior or senior class. Candidates eligible for election for membership must meet all of the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 4.0 on the 6-point scale
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on the 4-point scale
- Favorable teacher recommendations with a minimum average teacher rating of 3 (on a scale of 1-4), or a minimum average of 75% for the highest possible score if a different scale is utilized.
- No OSS or alternative school placement for the current school year.
- Teacher recommendation and Coach/Sponsor recommendation (per application).
- Faculty Council approval for membership, with careful consideration of the submitted application for each applicant based on scholarship, service, leadership, and character.
- Principal plan assignment and ISS placements within the current school year will be evaluated by the faculty council when determining membership qualifications.
The final selection of members for this chapter of the National Honor Society shall be by a vote of the faculty council.
Members are to attend monthly meetings and are expected to complete 25 hours of community service during their senior year in order to be eligible to wear the NHS stole at graduation. Please see the chapter by-laws and community service guidelines for additional information, or email the chapter advisor, Kara Rodriguez.