WHS Graduation 2020
Waxahachie High School
Sunday, May 31 | 7 pm | Lumpkins Stadium
Friday, June 5 | 8:00 pm | Lumpkins Stadium
2020 Commencement Plan
The TEA released updated guidance related to in-person graduation ceremonies. Waxahachie ISD is pleased that we will be able to conduct a graduation ceremony for the Waxahachie High School Class of 2020 at Lumpkins Stadium. Based on the guidance from the TEA, we held our event on Friday, June 5, 2020, at 8:00 pm. While we have been cleared to conduct an outdoor graduation ceremony, we must do so while adhering to guidelines designed to protect the health and safety of students, guests, and staff.
Graduation Ceremony Guidelines
- In order to comply with state requirements, we must have a plan in place to manage the venue to ensure social distancing expectations are followed by participants and guests. Therefore, students will only be allowed to invite 4 guests. By following this plan, we feel confident that guests will be able to maintain an appropriate distance between family groups.
- Participation in the graduation ceremony is not required to graduate from Waxahachie High School. In order for the district to adequately plan for the event, we will ask each graduating senior to complete a short Google Form through which they will indicate whether or not they plan to participate in the in-person graduation ceremony. The deadline for completion of this form will be Friday, May 29, 2020.
- Prior to attending the event, participating students and family members must be screened for symptoms of COVID – 19. Each student and their family members who plan to attend the ceremony must complete a health screening form prior to the event. Students will receive an email with a link to a Google Form which will include the appropriate screening questions. Anyone found to have any of the symptoms listed must be excluded from attending or participating in graduation. In the event families are unable to complete the digital health screening document in advance, paper forms will be provided with student ticket packets as well as at the stadium.
- We will not conduct a graduation practice as we are only permitted to bring the students together one time for this event. Information traditionally presented to students and participating faculty during practice will be provided electronically prior to the ceremony.
- In order to facilitate entry and exit into Lumpkins Stadium, we ask that families ride together in one vehicle if at all possible.
- Due to social distancing requirements, family groups must sit together and maintain a distance of at least 6 feet away from other family groups at all times. In order to accomplish this task, seating in Lumpkins Stadium will be marked in order to designate where families may and may not sit.
- Tickets will be distributed to students on Friday, May 22 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Students will pick their tickets up at Career and Technology entrance at Waxahachie High School. The tickets provided to students will designate the section, row, and seating group/seat numbers for each family group. Students will be assigned seating assignments through a random drawing. Family groups will be allowed into the stadium by section. WISD employees will have section rosters at each entrance and will verify each family group prior to seating.
- KBEC 1390 AM/99.1 FM has agreed to assist us in our process of notifying families as to when they may proceed to their assigned entrance for seating. At this time, our intention is to begin seating families at 6:00 PM.
- As in previous years, the graduation ceremony will be live-streamed so that those who are unable to attend in person may watch from the safety of their homes.
- Just as we are required to control entry into the stadium, seating sections will be dismissed by section and by row after all senior names have been announced.
- We will provide hand sanitizing stations at each entrance of the stadium.
- Students will be provided their traditional diploma jackets as they cross the graduation stage. The person who is tasked with handing students their diploma jacket must wear gloves at all times. Students will not shake hands with the principal or any other school official during the presentation of their diploma jackets.
- Regarding diplomas, as in past years, students will not be presented their diploma as they walk across the stage at graduation. Diplomas will be available for pick up at Waxahachie High School in the main office beginning Monday, June 8 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
- Employees assisting in the event will be required to wear masks. Guests are encouraged to wear masks or other face coverings. Students may wear masks as well but will not be required to do so while photos are taken.
- Any other awards presented to students will be appropriately sanitized prior to the ceremony.
WISD Administrators, Security, and Waxahachie Police Department Officers will strictly enforce all social distancing requirements before, during, and after the ceremony. We must have cooperation from guests and students in order for us to be able to conduct this event. Providing our seniors the graduation ceremony that they deserve has been our goal throughout the events of this spring and we thank you for your patience with us as we work to conduct a memorable evening for the Waxahachie High School Class of 2020.
In addition to the guidance above, we have included a copy of our seating plan for Lumpkins Stadium as well as a copy of the TEA guidelines for graduation ceremonies. Please see pages 4 and 5 of the TEA document for information related to our planned graduation ceremony.